Happy New Year! I hope that 2017 is full of joy and peace for each of you!
In 1629 St. Jane de Chantal said to her sisters: “We are at the end of another year. Soon this present year will take its place among so many others that have come before it. Time passes, the years come and go, and we come and go with them. We must make a strong resolution that, if the Lord wills it, we will make better use of this New Year than the many that have preceded it.”
As St. Jane knew, many of us make or remake New Year’s resolutions in order to improve our lives and get the most out of the year ahead of us. St. Francis de Sales said that resolutions – decisions to change part of our lives, were absolutely essential to living a devout life. I’ve put some Salesian New Year’s Resolutions below. As we begin 2017, try to put some of them into effect and see if they help you live closer to God – to live a more devout life.
Salesian New Year’s Resolutions
1. Don’t gossip in conversation, text, email, or post.
2. Avoid complaining. Always look for the good.
3. Send an email, text, or letter once a week thanking someone who has made a difference in your life.
4. Do one thing you are really afraid of.
5. Spend 5-10 minutes each day talking with Jesus about your life. You talk first for 5 minutes. Then listen to Jesus for five minutes.
May God bless you in 2017 as we continue to strive to “Live + Jesus!”